Monday, February 6, 2012

Stay-At-Home Parent Confessions

*inhale*
Being a SAHM is: a blessing, rewarding, special, and I'm thankful that we are privileged enough to allow for that to happen, comfortably.
Being a SAHM is also: sometimes boring, the process of feeling your brain (and those hard earned degrees, based on countless hours of intense study and research) atrophying, crappy, isolating, the feeling that you are Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day," and February 3rd is never going to happen.

Everyone likes to talk about Part 1, but nobody really talks about Part 2. Maybe only bad parents, like myself, admit to Part 2? My baby is a sweet, mellow, happy-go-lucky guy, but I still experience Part 2. My Monday - Friday is normally a 12 hour shift, with relief rolling in right around bedtime. All our toys/activities/errands take up maybe 2 1/2 hours of the day, which leaves 9 1/2 - 10 hours of the day for me to remember why I hate things like The Wiggles, picking up the same messes over and over again, and not being able to use the bathroom by myself.

Paul says I need to bring the Sprout into my world, instead of trying to exist solely in his. Well, my world is one of hyperactivity and poor impulse control, things that are not conducive to napping schedules, weather changes, bad moods, and age-appropriate activities. Furthermore, most of my "to-do" list requires the use of both hands, and no child. I've got to figure this out, but I'm too busy doing the right thing and taking care of the house and my child to come up with solutions.
Babies are boring, guys. There, I said it. My kid is boring, and I get tired of trying to pretend like he's not. Feel free to stone me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, February 6, 2012

Stay-At-Home Parent Confessions

*inhale*
Being a SAHM is: a blessing, rewarding, special, and I'm thankful that we are privileged enough to allow for that to happen, comfortably.
Being a SAHM is also: sometimes boring, the process of feeling your brain (and those hard earned degrees, based on countless hours of intense study and research) atrophying, crappy, isolating, the feeling that you are Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day," and February 3rd is never going to happen.

Everyone likes to talk about Part 1, but nobody really talks about Part 2. Maybe only bad parents, like myself, admit to Part 2? My baby is a sweet, mellow, happy-go-lucky guy, but I still experience Part 2. My Monday - Friday is normally a 12 hour shift, with relief rolling in right around bedtime. All our toys/activities/errands take up maybe 2 1/2 hours of the day, which leaves 9 1/2 - 10 hours of the day for me to remember why I hate things like The Wiggles, picking up the same messes over and over again, and not being able to use the bathroom by myself.

Paul says I need to bring the Sprout into my world, instead of trying to exist solely in his. Well, my world is one of hyperactivity and poor impulse control, things that are not conducive to napping schedules, weather changes, bad moods, and age-appropriate activities. Furthermore, most of my "to-do" list requires the use of both hands, and no child. I've got to figure this out, but I'm too busy doing the right thing and taking care of the house and my child to come up with solutions.
Babies are boring, guys. There, I said it. My kid is boring, and I get tired of trying to pretend like he's not. Feel free to stone me!

No comments:

Post a Comment