Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Playdate

So, I joined this mommy group. It was... alright. It's hard meeting new people - the initial meeting felt like a blind date, where I stumbled to introduce myself and not look like a jerk/know-it-all/transplant from out-of-state/clueless Mom. It went well, that is until they put their kids (under 6 months) onto the floor. of. the. mall.
The floor. No blanket, no protection. Toys were on the floor, they went into the respective mouths.
I decided it would NOT be a good time to mention that Paul is a "dawkter" and that I know too much about rotovirus/MRSA/the plague that lives on mall floors across America.
Luckily, it wasn't a total wash, as the "cool Moms" strolled in (a collective group, sweaty and yet perfectly in place [something I'll never be]) having finished their morning workout through Stroller Strides. I'd heard of SS, but didn't know much until today. I was approached by a woman in the Inner Circle, who smiled and casually invited me to join them tomorrow.
It was interesting to me that she did not invite any of the other moms sitting next to me: maybe she's a pusher and they've already seen what she's selling and didn't want to buy. I don't know.
But with her invite, I suddenly felt way cooler than I really am included.
Imagine my surprise when I was directed toward the Queen Bee herself: a shiny Mom (of 2), looking fabulous, and holding her Crackberry.
She answered all my questions about milk supply decrease, the number of reps, and where I could find a good chiropractor. I think the Mothership may have been calling me home.
Needless to say, I drank the Kool-aid, and will be joining them tomorrow morning for a trial run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Playdate

So, I joined this mommy group. It was... alright. It's hard meeting new people - the initial meeting felt like a blind date, where I stumbled to introduce myself and not look like a jerk/know-it-all/transplant from out-of-state/clueless Mom. It went well, that is until they put their kids (under 6 months) onto the floor. of. the. mall.
The floor. No blanket, no protection. Toys were on the floor, they went into the respective mouths.
I decided it would NOT be a good time to mention that Paul is a "dawkter" and that I know too much about rotovirus/MRSA/the plague that lives on mall floors across America.
Luckily, it wasn't a total wash, as the "cool Moms" strolled in (a collective group, sweaty and yet perfectly in place [something I'll never be]) having finished their morning workout through Stroller Strides. I'd heard of SS, but didn't know much until today. I was approached by a woman in the Inner Circle, who smiled and casually invited me to join them tomorrow.
It was interesting to me that she did not invite any of the other moms sitting next to me: maybe she's a pusher and they've already seen what she's selling and didn't want to buy. I don't know.
But with her invite, I suddenly felt way cooler than I really am included.
Imagine my surprise when I was directed toward the Queen Bee herself: a shiny Mom (of 2), looking fabulous, and holding her Crackberry.
She answered all my questions about milk supply decrease, the number of reps, and where I could find a good chiropractor. I think the Mothership may have been calling me home.
Needless to say, I drank the Kool-aid, and will be joining them tomorrow morning for a trial run.

No comments:

Post a Comment