Monday, April 25, 2011

"Virus" Attack (Part Three)

This blog is starting to sound like nothing but a whine-fest. I promise it's not. Life just happens to be challenging on multiple levels sometimes.
So.
My antibiotics for mastitis stopped working, and I have a brand new flare-up hot spot on the same breast.
After church on Easter Sunday, I knew things were going downhill when I discovered a new red spot and then promptly ran a 102 degree fever with aches and chills. Paul was off that day, and discussed treatment with my doctor - they decided on 2 new antibiotics, much stronger but safe for breastfeeding - which I promptly started in the afternoon. My fever broke sometime in the night without the help of tylenol, and things are starting to look up again. Although breastfeeding is extremely challenging and painful right now, I'm focusing on making it through and staying positive.
I knew that breastfeeding moms need support, but I had no idea how much support they really need until now. It's such a steep learning curve, and honestly, I'm convinced it takes at least 3 weeks until both mother and baby get the hang of it. I will never again assume that labor and delivery is the "hardest part" of the whole thing.
Bean continues to grow: 9lbs. 5oz. (!) He's eating and sleeping at regular (?) intervals, and I can pretty much read his cries/signs now to a T. This makes me feel less like a babydummy and more like a capable mommy (but I'm sure he will find a way to make me doubt myself again soon...) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, April 25, 2011

"Virus" Attack (Part Three)

This blog is starting to sound like nothing but a whine-fest. I promise it's not. Life just happens to be challenging on multiple levels sometimes.
So.
My antibiotics for mastitis stopped working, and I have a brand new flare-up hot spot on the same breast.
After church on Easter Sunday, I knew things were going downhill when I discovered a new red spot and then promptly ran a 102 degree fever with aches and chills. Paul was off that day, and discussed treatment with my doctor - they decided on 2 new antibiotics, much stronger but safe for breastfeeding - which I promptly started in the afternoon. My fever broke sometime in the night without the help of tylenol, and things are starting to look up again. Although breastfeeding is extremely challenging and painful right now, I'm focusing on making it through and staying positive.
I knew that breastfeeding moms need support, but I had no idea how much support they really need until now. It's such a steep learning curve, and honestly, I'm convinced it takes at least 3 weeks until both mother and baby get the hang of it. I will never again assume that labor and delivery is the "hardest part" of the whole thing.
Bean continues to grow: 9lbs. 5oz. (!) He's eating and sleeping at regular (?) intervals, and I can pretty much read his cries/signs now to a T. This makes me feel less like a babydummy and more like a capable mommy (but I'm sure he will find a way to make me doubt myself again soon...) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment