In the last 2 weeks, I have watched a few political debates which have turned my stomach. The subject? Homosexuality.
Is it compassionate/Christ-like/Christian to compare same-sex attraction to bestiality? Really? Being attracted to someone is the same as defiling a sheep or a cow, for your own pleasure?
At the same time, my alma mater has denied the petition for an LGBT-Straight alliance club on campus. While they are a private institution, and can, by all means and purposes, set their own rules (with donors in mind, I am sure), the backlash of unloving, uncompassionate "here here" from those in opposition has me equally hurt. Do we, as a society based on community, use self-righteousness and pride to sneer at our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ? Is it moral to be exclusive? "You are welcome to the table, you are welcome to the table. But you? Not you. Get out."
If the First Commandment is to "Love the Lord Your God," and you and I are in agreeance about that, then is the Second Commandment ("Love Your Neighbor As Yourself") debatable? "I am called to love my neighbor, but not you. You are not my neighbor."
I am trying not to get twisted up in utilizing Scripture to "prove" my point. I believe that when religious debates get into using verses in a legalistic way, there is no difference between us and the Pharisees (who, lest we forget, were chastized by Christ Himself for being such).
A relationship and commitment to Christ is a heart issue, an daily renewing of faith. How can anyone tell someone else that they are insincere, not doing it right, going to hell? Hypocritical. Judgmental. Not of God.
"God is God, and I am not, and He will do as he pleases."
It is hard, at times, to love your neighbor. You will fail many, many times, and do the wrong thing. I do it, and I know it. But please, do not turn away from those who are seeking after God's heart, who are seeking community, who desire to be next to you at The Table.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday, January 27, 2012
Where's The Love?
In the last 2 weeks, I have watched a few political debates which have turned my stomach. The subject? Homosexuality.
Is it compassionate/Christ-like/Christian to compare same-sex attraction to bestiality? Really? Being attracted to someone is the same as defiling a sheep or a cow, for your own pleasure?
At the same time, my alma mater has denied the petition for an LGBT-Straight alliance club on campus. While they are a private institution, and can, by all means and purposes, set their own rules (with donors in mind, I am sure), the backlash of unloving, uncompassionate "here here" from those in opposition has me equally hurt. Do we, as a society based on community, use self-righteousness and pride to sneer at our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ? Is it moral to be exclusive? "You are welcome to the table, you are welcome to the table. But you? Not you. Get out."
If the First Commandment is to "Love the Lord Your God," and you and I are in agreeance about that, then is the Second Commandment ("Love Your Neighbor As Yourself") debatable? "I am called to love my neighbor, but not you. You are not my neighbor."
I am trying not to get twisted up in utilizing Scripture to "prove" my point. I believe that when religious debates get into using verses in a legalistic way, there is no difference between us and the Pharisees (who, lest we forget, were chastized by Christ Himself for being such).
A relationship and commitment to Christ is a heart issue, an daily renewing of faith. How can anyone tell someone else that they are insincere, not doing it right, going to hell? Hypocritical. Judgmental. Not of God.
"God is God, and I am not, and He will do as he pleases."
It is hard, at times, to love your neighbor. You will fail many, many times, and do the wrong thing. I do it, and I know it. But please, do not turn away from those who are seeking after God's heart, who are seeking community, who desire to be next to you at The Table.
Is it compassionate/Christ-like/Christian to compare same-sex attraction to bestiality? Really? Being attracted to someone is the same as defiling a sheep or a cow, for your own pleasure?
At the same time, my alma mater has denied the petition for an LGBT-Straight alliance club on campus. While they are a private institution, and can, by all means and purposes, set their own rules (with donors in mind, I am sure), the backlash of unloving, uncompassionate "here here" from those in opposition has me equally hurt. Do we, as a society based on community, use self-righteousness and pride to sneer at our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ? Is it moral to be exclusive? "You are welcome to the table, you are welcome to the table. But you? Not you. Get out."
If the First Commandment is to "Love the Lord Your God," and you and I are in agreeance about that, then is the Second Commandment ("Love Your Neighbor As Yourself") debatable? "I am called to love my neighbor, but not you. You are not my neighbor."
I am trying not to get twisted up in utilizing Scripture to "prove" my point. I believe that when religious debates get into using verses in a legalistic way, there is no difference between us and the Pharisees (who, lest we forget, were chastized by Christ Himself for being such).
A relationship and commitment to Christ is a heart issue, an daily renewing of faith. How can anyone tell someone else that they are insincere, not doing it right, going to hell? Hypocritical. Judgmental. Not of God.
"God is God, and I am not, and He will do as he pleases."
It is hard, at times, to love your neighbor. You will fail many, many times, and do the wrong thing. I do it, and I know it. But please, do not turn away from those who are seeking after God's heart, who are seeking community, who desire to be next to you at The Table.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment