Monday, September 5, 2011

A Letter to My "Firstborn"

Dear Rhett,

This morning when I woke up, I opened the back door and Fall had arrived overnight. I know that it will still get warm during the day, and we have quite a long wait until the leaves start to change, but it was unmistakably cold. The wind was blowing out of the north and whipping the trees around. I couldn't contain myself - I ran inside, grabbed a blanket, poured myself some coffee, and took Bean outside to sit on the patio and enjoy the morning. I don't think he was as impressed as you would have been, but he sat quietly (sucking his thumb) and took it all in.
I thought of you, my sweet dog. It was your kind of morning, and you would have loved it. I had to put on Uggs because you weren't here for me to stick my toes in your fur. I think this first fall will be the hardest, as I had anticipated raking leaves so you could jump into the piles and make them your bed. I miss you, baby dog.

"Pet Pet," on a cold fall day in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, September 5, 2011

A Letter to My "Firstborn"

Dear Rhett,

This morning when I woke up, I opened the back door and Fall had arrived overnight. I know that it will still get warm during the day, and we have quite a long wait until the leaves start to change, but it was unmistakably cold. The wind was blowing out of the north and whipping the trees around. I couldn't contain myself - I ran inside, grabbed a blanket, poured myself some coffee, and took Bean outside to sit on the patio and enjoy the morning. I don't think he was as impressed as you would have been, but he sat quietly (sucking his thumb) and took it all in.
I thought of you, my sweet dog. It was your kind of morning, and you would have loved it. I had to put on Uggs because you weren't here for me to stick my toes in your fur. I think this first fall will be the hardest, as I had anticipated raking leaves so you could jump into the piles and make them your bed. I miss you, baby dog.

"Pet Pet," on a cold fall day in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment